ASEAN-Wide Self-Certification (AWSC) scheme
ASEAN signed the First Protocol to amend the ASEAN Trade In Goods Agreement (ATIGA) so as to implement the ASEAN-Wide Self-Certification (AWSC) scheme which will be implemented on 20 September 2020. Companies in Singapore will be able to participate in this scheme and benefit from the preferential tariff given under the ASEAN Trade in Goods Agreement (ATIGA) upon being approved as Certified Exporter (CE).
AWSC is a unified Self-Certification scheme under the ASEAN Trade in Goods Agreement (ATIGA). It is a trade facilitation initiative that allows CEs in all ASEAN Member States to self-declare the origin for their exports under ATIGA instead of applying for a Certificate of Origin (FORM D) with the Certificate Issuing Authority in their respective State. Self-Certification enables a CE to make an Origin Declaration on certain commercial documents such as the invoice, bill of lading, delivery order or packing list.
How to participate
Step 1 – Eligibility
- Exporters and exporters exporting goods in a back-to-back arrangement (B2B);
- Know and understand the Rules of Origin in the ATIGA and has shown a substantial amount of experience in export procedures;
- Has no record of any Rules of Origin fraud and at the same time, has shown good compliance as measured by risk management rules;
- Has a sound bookkeeping and record-keeping system;
- Exporter must have a “manufacturer’s declaration”, and the manufacturer must be ready for a retroactive check and verification should the need arise.
For more details, please refer to the ATIGA Operational Certification Procedures (OCP) Rule 12A Article 2 via Enterprise Singapore’s website here
Step 2 – Apply and register with us as a Certified Exporter
Submit the “Application Form to be a Certified Exporter under AWSC”to Singapore Customs.
Step 3 – Start your journey as a Certified Exporter
Upon successful registration as a CE, the CE may proceed to self-certify and make an Origin Declaration only for the goods that the CE has been authorised to make for and fulfil the CE obligations set out in the ATIGA Operational Certification Procedures .
Need more information on how AWSC works, the benefits of AWSC, and the criteria for companies to become a CE. Here are some resources which might be useful: