Travellers Happier with Customs
Checkpoint Services


Results from the Singapore Customs Travellers' Satisfaction Survey 2011 show that the agency has improved its services. The yearly survey revealed a 4 per cent rise in overall traveller satisfaction from 91 per cent in 2010 to 95 per cent in 2011.

This means that more than nine out of ten travellers surveyed ranked our services a four or five on a five-point scale, indicating that they were satisfied or very satisfied with Singapore Customs' services.

The annual survey evaluates Customs processes at various checkpoints and identifies gaps between traveller expectations and actual levels of service. It enables Singapore Customs to determine specific service needs and expectations of travellers, and gather suggestions for improvements.

Travellers were asked to rate the Goods and Services Tax (GST) refund and duty payment process, from locating the refund or tax counters, information provided on obtaining a refund, to the service received at the counter. In addition, the service attributes of the officers — professionalism, level of courtesy, clarity of information provided, knowledge and speed — were also assessed.

In general, travellers were satisfied with the performance of Singapore Customs officers.

Those who travelled by air were the most satisfied (96 per cent) while seafarers were the least (84 per cent). Of those who travelled by land, 94 per cent said they were happy with Customs services.

The data was collected through face-to-face interviews with tourists, visitors, residents, commuters and Singaporeans at 22 Customs contact points. Carried out over a six-month period straddling 2011 and 2012, the survey comprised 4,382 responses from travellers who came to Singapore by air, land and sea.

The annual Travellers' Satisfaction Survey is just one of the tools Singapore Customs employs in its efforts to excel in customer service. In addition, the agency frequently sends its officers for training in service excellence and innovation. Recently, it revised its Service Charter and launched a Singapore Customs Service Book with anecdotes of exemplary service to motivate officers.

Find us on Facebook

Copyright © 2012 Singapore Customs. All Rights Reserved.
Best viewed at 1024 x 768 resolution with IE 7.0 or FireFox 2.0 and above.