Ministry of Health - Biosafety Branch
1. The importation and transhipment of human and zoonotic (infects both human and animals) biological agents, and selected toxins are regulated under the Biological Agents and Toxins Act (BATA) by the Ministry of Health (MOH). These include samples (e.g. clinical and non-clinical samples, proficiency test samples, quality control and standards) that are known to contain the controlled biological agents and toxins. The lists of controlled items are classified under five BATA Schedules, where biological agents are listed under the First to Fourth Schedules, and selected toxins are listed under the Fifth Schedule.
2. Requirements for Importers (Users) and Carriers
a. An “Approval to Possess” granted by MOH to the importer is required prior to the importation BATA First and Second Schedule biological agents, and Fifth Schedule toxins. For more information on BATA requirements for each Schedule, please visit MOH Biosafety website.
b. For local transportation of First, Second and Third Schedule biological agents, and Fifth Schedule toxins, carriers must comply with the requirements prescribed in the BATA Transportation Regulation (downloadable from MOH Biosafety website).
3. TradeNet application submission
A customs permit must be obtained through TradeNet before the goods arrive in/depart from/tranship at Singapore. An online application shall be submitted with the relevant supporting documents (e.g. commercial invoice, airway bill, declaration letter) for processing.
For online TradeNet submissions, ensure that the following information are correctly provided in the application:
a. Declarant and Importer fields
- Names of Declarant and Importer
- Declarant telephone number
- Place of Receipt address
b. Shipment Information
- Airway Bill number(s)
- Estimated arrival date
c. Consignment Content Information
- Item Description (as printed in the commercial invoice)
- MOH product code or Import Specific Product (ISP) code
- NParks product code (applicable for MOH-NParks jointly controlled zoonotic agents)
- Product quantity and unit of measurement (as printed in the commercial invoice)
d. Additional Remarks
- MOH Approval number (for import of First and Second Schedule biological agents and Fifth Schedule toxins)
- Specific instructions pertaining to consignment logistics / delivery / receipt
- End user information
e. Transhipment Details (if applicable)
- Place of temporary storage
- Date of exportation and vessel details
4. The list of MOH product codes is updated from time to time, and the current “List of Biological Agents and Toxins” is available under the Useful Info and Guidelines tab on the MOH Biosafety website.
5. For queries related to the requirements for importation of items that are not listed in the “List of Biological Agents and Toxins”, please contact MOH Biosafety Branch at MOH_Biosafety@moh.gov.sg.