Determination of Strategic Goods
How to determine strategic goods?
To determine if your product is controlled under the Strategic Goods (Control) Act (SGCA), please compare your product’s description and specification against the descriptions in the Strategic Goods Control List. If your product meets the stated descriptions, it is controlled as strategic goods under the SGCA. You may refer to this guidebook for more information.
The Determination Database is a list of products and their determination compiled from past applications. You may refer to it to view products which have been assessed by Singapore Customs.
Disclaimer: The determination of strategic goods provided here is for general reference only. Every effort has been made to ensure that the information presented is complete and accurate. Singapore Customs assumes no responsibility and accepts no liability for any action taken or omitted by you on the basis of the classification provided.
What if I am unable to determine if my product is controlled as strategic goods?
If you are unable to determine whether your product is controlled as strategic goods after going through the Strategic Goods Control List and Determination Database, you may submit an Application for Determination of Strategic Goods to Singapore Customs for advice on the product determination.
Please note it is not necessary to submit this application if you are able to classify your products. It is a quicker option for you to carry out your own determination.
What do I need to take note for my application?
Each application is for the classification of ONE product only. Please fill in all fields and indicate “NA” if the field is not applicable.
In addition to the basic information of the applicant, please also:
- Identify the product you are seeking advice on (product name, model/part number and brand)
- Describe in detail the functions and capabilities of your product
- Provide a valid manufacturer’s website address rather than the product’s website
- Describe in detail the intended end-use of your product (not the function of the product, which is described in another field)
- Describe in detail the intended end-use of the next higher assembly if your product is a component of a system or used to make or repair another product
- Indicate the part/component description and its corresponding Strategic Goods Product Code if you know that your product contains any parts/components that are controlled under the SGCA
- Indicate if your product is specially designed for any specific equipment
To minimise any delay in processing your application, please provide the required information and ensure your application is completed properly and accompanied by all supporting documents.
What supporting documents do I need to provide?
You will need to submit these supporting documents for your product where applicable:
- Product brochures and catalogues
- Detailed technical specifications and data sheets (besides the weight and dimension)
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) or Certificate of Analysis (COA), if your product contains chemicals (providing the full chemical composition adding up to 100%)
- Drawings or blueprints
- Product Questionnaire, if your product is a machine tool, biological product or if the product contains information security
- Export authorisation from the originating country (for re-export of goods from Singapore)
Please ensure the supporting documents are clear and properly numbered, with the total number of pages indicated at the top right-hand corner of every page. If the supporting documents are not in English, please provide its corresponding translation in English.
How do I submit the application?
Please submit your completed application with the supporting documents.
The application will be processed when all supporting documents have been received. Additional information may be requested during the processing of application.