Bonded Truck Scheme

What is it?

The Bonded Truck Scheme allows air express companies to handle time-sensitive transhipments from the land checkpoints to Changi Free Trade Zone for subsequent re-export or release into customs territory under a simplified Customs permit. Similarly, the scheme also facilitates transhipments from Changi Free Trade Zone to the land checkpoints.

How to Qualify?

To qualify for the Bonded Truck Scheme, the company must:

  • Be Goods and Services Tax (GST)-registered with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore
  • Have a valid Customs Account 
  • Have good compliance records with Singapore Customs
  • Have premises located within Changi Free Trade Zone for the purpose of bulk-breaking, consolidation and sorting of goods
  • Undergo TradeFIRST assessment and attain the “Premium” Band

Key Responsibilities

  • Accountability to Singapore Customs
    • Notify Singapore Customs within 14 days on any changes including but not limited to the modification, replacement, or intention to de-register the bonded vehicles
    • Comply with the Customs Act and Customs Regulations and other conditions imposed
    • Declare relevant Customs permits through TradeNet for movement of all goods in and out of Changi Free Trade Zone, and abide by the stipulated permit conditions
  • Accountability to Other Competent Authorities
    • Produce consignments to Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) officers at the checkpoints for sealing and clearance. Please also provide the relevant transhipment declarations submitted in TradeNet, including supporting documents such as bills of lading, cargo manifests and delivery notes
  • Physical Security Control
    • Ensure there is no movement of dutiable or controlled goods under the Bonded Truck Scheme
    • Ensure only registered and approved bonded vehicles by Singapore Customs are used
    • Ensure the bonded vehicles’ compartments meet the specifications stipulated by Singapore Customs

How to Apply?

Step 1: Complete the TradeFIRST Self-Assessment Checklist.

Step 2: Prepare these supporting documents:

  • Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority BizFile Report
  • Audited financial statements for the past 3 years
  • Other relevant documents

Step 3: Write to, and attach the checklist and supporting documents.

Singapore Customs reserves the right to impose a Banker’s Guarantee or insurance bond, if required.

Once your application is received, we will contact you to follow up with your application.

For further assistance, please call 6251 3027 or email

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1)      Do I need to pay GST for goods moved under the Bonded Truck Scheme?

If the goods are transhipped from the land checkpoints to Changi Free Trade Zone and subsequently released into customs territory, you are required to take up an Inward GST Payment permit.

2)      What goods can be transported under the Bonded Truck Scheme?

Only non-controlled and non-dutiable goods are allowed to be moved under the Bonded Truck Scheme.

3)      How do I check if the goods are controlled or dutiable?

Please click here for the list of dutiable items.

For controlled goods, you may check using this search engine.  If a product is controlled, the "Import", "Export" and "Transhipment" columns of the search results will indicate the Competent Authorities controlling the product.  More details on handling of controlled goods here.

4)      What types of vehicles can I use to transport goods under the Bonded Truck Scheme?

Only bonded vehicles that are registered and approved by Singapore Customs can be used. When registering new vehicles, Singapore Customs will request for supporting documents to be submitted.

The bonded vehicles’ compartments must meet the following specifications: 

  • Separate compartments or segregation for mails and parcels (if the vehicle is meant for both mails and parcels),
  • No other compartments in the vehicle other than those described above, and
  • The relevant compartment is equipped with doors (with ledges) for Immigration and Checkpoints Authority officers to affix the Customs seal.

5)      How do I declare Customs permits?

Customs permits can be declared electronically via TradeNet. More information on declaring permits can be found here.