Quick Guide for New Traders and Registration Services
Activating a Customs Account
Declaring entities such as importers, exporters, shipping agents, air cargo agents, freight forwarders, common carriers, individuals carrying on business under their full name and other persons who intend to:
- Engage in import and/or export activities in Singapore; or
- Appoint a Declaring Agent to apply for customs import, export and transhipment permits or certificates through TradeNet,
will need to:
Applying for Customs Permits
After activating your Customs Account, you may appoint a Declaring Agent to apply for customs permits via TradeNet on your behalf.
To apply for your own customs permits or on behalf of your clients, you have to register as a Declaring Agent and apply for a TradeNet user ID.
You may apply for customs permits via:
You may wish to view the checklist for import permit applications.
Applying for Inter-Bank GIRO
You are required to maintain an Inter-Bank GIRO (IBG) with Singapore Customs to make payment of duties, taxes, fees, penalties and other charges on services offered by Singapore from your bank account to Singapore Customs directly.
To apply, mail the completed Application for Inter-Bank GIRO form to Singapore Customs’ address as indicated in the form.
The IBG application usually requires 3 to 4 weeks for the bank’s approval. Once it is approved, you will receive a notification by email depending on the contact details provided in your Customs Account.
You, or your appointed Declaring Agent, are required to furnish security for various scenarios including:
- Transactions involving dutiable goods
- Temporary import of goods for approved purposes
- Operation of licensed premises such as licensed warehouses and excise factories
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
- Revenue protection purposes
Singapore Customs may also vary the security lodgement amount on a case-by-case assessment.
Authorising your Declaring Agent
If you are the Key Personnel (for example, the owner, partner or director, based on ACRA’s records) or the Authorised Personnel of the entity, you may authorise your Declaring Agent to use your:
- Inter-Bank GIRO for the payment of duties and GST for your customs permits; and,
- Security for your permit applications